The ones who are thriving and succeeding are the ones who are acting like they’re at camp. -Seth Godin
If you are an avid reader of Seth Godin then you know he uses a lot of camp references. Maybe camping is where he learned how to break the old box and make a new one. Godin shares his ideas on why camp is important with Jon Travis of CampHacker consulting.
Camp gives people the skills to “Be someone we would miss if you were gone.” Take a moment and really think about what that is saying. How can we leave our mark on society if we always follow the program? How can you change direction if you ascribe to the formula that “was written” for you?
You know the drill, go to a good school, get a job, get married, have 1.5 children and a pet dog named Bruiser. The formula, now it may not be magical, but so many of us are still holding that false dream.
Break It Down
What am I thinking? Well, I am thinking about that part of our childhood that we gave up to be adults. You know, sit in your seat properly, chew with your mouth closed, raise your hand when you have a question, and my mother’s personal favorite, “WALK, Michaela!”
Being someone you would miss doesn’t always mean closing the biggest deal. Is there an aspect of yourself that you miss? Well, there’s no need to quit your job and join the circus to find it!
How can you make each day memorable? How can you add the joy of camping it up into the little things? What can you do to make it “a day you will never forget”? I have some ideas…they may seem silly, but that’s the point right?
- Make a crazy face! Bug out your eyes and stick out your tongue! When was the
last time you had someone tell you, “Don’t do that or your face will freeze?”
- Sing a silly song! As the famous Harold Hill from The Music Man said, “Singing is just sustained talking.” I love making up non-sense songs with one key phrase repeated. Imagine if you solved a problem like that. Instead of thinking about it seriously turn it into a musical.
- Doodle! That’s right, get out the magic markers and start filling in the margins of your paper. Make sure you get one of those ink pens with 15 different colors.
- Learn some jokes! Find a comedian that you like and learn one of her jokes. Perfect your delivery so people will laugh at it. This will def help you impress your friends in ways that you could never imagine. To be honest, I think as an adult you might be able to tell better jokes than when you were a kid. Most kids just laugh at fart jokes. Oh, wait, that’s how Jim Carrey made a living. Yeah, learn those jokes!
- Dance! I don’t know how many times I log into youtube and find some of my favorite songs and just dance around the room. It really pumps me up and makes me feel I can do anything. Even a handstand! And that’s the point right?
- Try something new! Live a little! Remember what it was like to scream at the top of your lungs and enjoy it. Not because you were being chased down the street, but because life is just so good that you want to let the joy out!
Life is good and sometimes we forget to enjoy it! Why? Because we forgot what camp was like. We forgot what real fun was like! Go Camping!
So thanks Mr. Godin. I hear you, “Be someone we would miss if you were gone.” Great advice, but it starts inside first. Miss yourself yet? If not, Go Camp!
Yes, I camp in skirts!